Attention Family! I've been saying it for years, now I am preparing you for when it happens, I am retiring from cooking in less than 5 years. The only thing I will make is my morning coffee, and that is only because I am too lazy to get dressed and go out for it!







Thursday, September 23, 2010

Gravy!

I did not grow up eating a lot of gravy. We had gravy at Thanksgiving, and maybe Christmas. On the other hand, your Dad grew up eating lots of gravy, and he was the first one to show me how to make gravy. Then we got cable and Food Network, and BAM!, now we have gravy whenever we want! Make gravy according to the ratio (yes, there is a ratio) for a few times, then you will be knowledgeable enough to make gravy from pan drippings.

Basic Gravy

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 14.5 ounce can chicken, beef , or vegetable broth(low sodium)
seasonings

Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour to form a paste (this is what is known as a roux). Slowly add the broth, a little at a time, whisking all the while. When you have added all the broth, start seasoning! Garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper are good in all gravies. Try some Worcestershire sauce in beef gravy. How about thyme or sage? The gravy needs to boil to thicken properly, you don't need to stir it constantly, but check it frequently. To finish off the gravy, add 2 tablespoons milk, cream, sour cream, or water. Taste for seasonings, and there you go, gravy!

Do you see the ratio? one tablespoon fat to 1 tablespoon flour, to 1 cup liquid.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, one more post before class.
    Gravy. Is. Amazing. (when done right) I cannot imagine growing up without it. What would you put on potatoes? Turkey? Anything that will sit still long enough to be smothered then eaten? The flour/liquid ratio might give me a bit of trouble, just because I'm such an obsessively precise person and this is more of a 'try stuff until it works' type thing.

    ReplyDelete