Attention Family! I've been saying it for years, now I am preparing you for when it happens, I am retiring from cooking in less than 5 years. The only thing I will make is my morning coffee, and that is only because I am too lazy to get dressed and go out for it!







Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hoecakes

These are great for breakfast. The original recipe came from Martha Stewart Living magazine, and, as usual, I have tweaked it to suit us.

Hoecakes

1 and 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 cup self-rising flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 and 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil (use corn oil if you have any)

Stir together cornmeal, flour, and sugar. Add wet ingredients (buttermilk, eggs, and oil). Stir just until combined. Add more buttermilk or plain milk if batter needs thinning. Cook in frying pans sprayed with cooking spray. Serve with butter, honey, golden syrup, or regular syrup. My vote goes to honey!

1 comment:

  1. Alright, you can yell at me later, I just can't resist...
    Honey, these hoecakes are easy! They come out hot and satisfy!
    Ok, I'm done. Dirty jokes aside, these are another favorite breakfast food of mine. The only issues present are 1) the "just combined" part and my CDO-ness do not get along and 2) flipping these in frying pans. No. Just no. I've tried flipping, and while the first few suffered from my ignorance and I did get better with time, I'm going to have to leave the stove-top in the hands of the experts.

    ReplyDelete