Attention Family! I've been saying it for years, now I am preparing you for when it happens, I am retiring from cooking in less than 5 years. The only thing I will make is my morning coffee, and that is only because I am too lazy to get dressed and go out for it!







Monday, August 1, 2011

Zucchini/Squash Bread

My DD#1 found this recipe in an old cookbook that belonged to my mother, but we are not sure of the name of the book. We have made this many times this summer using fresh squash/zucchini, or frozen squash/zuchinni. Give it a try, it is really tasty.

Zucchini/Squash Bread
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oil
½ teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
½ cups nuts (optional)

Beat eggs. Add sugars, oil, cinnamon, mixing well. Stir in sifted flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add vanilla. Stir in zucchini and nuts. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour or until done
If you use frozen squash, thaw it, and drain it before adding to recipe. I consider this to be one of DD#3's specialties because she has made many loaves and muffins of this!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, that's me! I found this recipe! Don't recall the book title though...
    So we visited Mother Dear's family and received lots of fresh-off-the-farm squash & zucchini. A LOT. A TON!! This is what we ended up doing with the majority of it...There's still some shredded and stored in the deep freeze just begging to be put to use.
    This bread is great but fabulous warm out the oven. A little bit of butter and you're good to go. The batter is versatile and can be transformed into muffins or smaller loaves or anything your little heart desires. And it's a tasty healthy way to eat more veggies!

    ReplyDelete