Attention Family! I've been saying it for years, now I am preparing you for when it happens, I am retiring from cooking in less than 5 years. The only thing I will make is my morning coffee, and that is only because I am too lazy to get dressed and go out for it!







Saturday, October 15, 2011

Cornbread

Colleen came for supper last night. I hadn't realized that she loves cornbread! When Conni was here, he really liked it too. Show your family and friends some love, and make cornbread for them!

Cornbread

Turn the oven on to 375 degrees. If you are going to bake this in a cast iron frying pan, put 1 tablespoon butter in the pan, put the pan in the oven for the butter to melt and for the pan to get hot.

1 cup cornmeal (don't use a cornmeal mix, Dad and A could have an allergic reaction!)
1 and 1/2 cup self-rising flour
1 to 2 tablespoons sugar (not too much, cornbread is not supposed to be sweet!)

Stir these together in a bowl, then add the wet ingredients...
2 eggs
1/4 cup veggie oil (if you have corn oil, use that)
1 cup buttermilk

Mix well, but do not over stir. If you are using the cast iron skillet, carefully remove it from the oven, swirl the butter around the pan to coat the bottom and sides, then add the batter. If you do not have a cast iron skillet, get one. But until then, use a greased cake pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until top is a nice golden color. Serve with butter. If you baked it in a cake pan, you can flip it out onto a plate for serving. If you used a cast iron skillet, put a hot pad on the table and serve it straight out of the pan.

1 comment:

  1. This I know and love! Cornbread is great, I love it. Warm, straight out of the pan, souping up leftover sauce/gravy/broth from the main dish, anyway you can get it! The texture is good, this version of the recipe isn't too sweet. Mom's homemade cornbread is the best I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete