Attention Family! I've been saying it for years, now I am preparing you for when it happens, I am retiring from cooking in less than 5 years. The only thing I will make is my morning coffee, and that is only because I am too lazy to get dressed and go out for it!







Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Baked Ziti

This is so easy, its almost not worth writing down. I had never had baked ziti before I met your dad. It never caught my eye at an Italian restaurant, and nobody I knew made it. Now I consider it a comfort food. So here is your dad's version of baked ziti - meatless and cheesy.

Baked Ziti

1 pound box of ziti
1 large jar of spaghetti sauce
1 15 ounce container of Pollyo low-fat ricotta cheese
1 pound block of Pollyo mozzarella cheese
dried oregano and basil

Put on a large pot of water to boil. Add 1/2 teaspoon or so of salt to the water. When water boils, add pasta and stir. While waiting for water to boil, and pasta to cook, shred mozzarella cheese, unload dishwasher, set table. When pasta is done, drain and return to pot. Add ricotta cheese (Dad uses half, I use all), spaghetti sauce, and a good sprinkle of oregano and basil. Spray a large, flat casserole with cooking spray, add noodle mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, long enough for the casserole to start bubbling around the edges. Add the mozzarella cheese (all or part, your choice) and cook until the cheese is melty and gooey. While the ziti is in the oven, wash the pot, make a simple salad, slice some bread, and put a trivet or wooden cutting board on the table. Take the ziti from the oven, set it on the table, and you have a lovely dinner and an almost clean kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. Main dish? Check. Salad? Check. Bread? Check. Wow, three of the five basic food groups. Add something chocolate for dessert and that's four out of five (the last remaining group being meat). I love ziti and really can't even contemplate not knowing what this dish is, but then I suppose those who have never heard of ziti have dishes they love and adore that I have never heard of either, so to each their own.
    I really love how you added what to do in the lag time for all those who wish to slack off, or have no idea how to be productive (I fall in the former category, not the latter thank you very much). Subtle like a two-by-four mother dear.
    ...I suppose it'd be futile to ask if there will be any leftovers for me once I get there later this week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positively futile, all the leftovers went for school lunches today.

    ReplyDelete