Attention Family! I've been saying it for years, now I am preparing you for when it happens, I am retiring from cooking in less than 5 years. The only thing I will make is my morning coffee, and that is only because I am too lazy to get dressed and go out for it!







Monday, February 6, 2012

True Grits

Okay, as Southerners, you should know how to make grits, real grits, not instant, ever. The ratio for grits is 4 to 1, as in 4 parts liquid and one part grits. Pretty simple right? However, grits need to cook for a least 15 minutes and are better if cooked for 20.(And these are quick grits I am talking about, the package says 5 minutes, but I am telling you how to make good grits.) For really good grits, use half water and half milk, with a blob of butter along with the salt. Add plenty of black pepper. For extra special grits, add Lil' Smokies (keep some in the freezer) and/or cheese. So, bring the liquid and salt to a boil, add grits while stirring. Turn down heat to low, and stir occasionally. You can add the Lil' Smokies about 5 minutes into the cooking time, right out of the freezer, 3 or 4 per serving. Add cheese at the end, and stir until melted. There you have it, don't forget to make something else for A., as hard as it is to believe, not everyone eats grits.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I like your caviat ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ......!!!! You commented before me! Wow! Are you going to comment on every entry too?

      Delete
  2. Alright grits! And we're not talking G.R.I.T.S. like mother dear herself and all of her sisters, this is the edible kind. Plain is good if a bit monotonous, with butter and milk is much more filling, with cheese is flavorful and addictive, add the Smokies and everyone (with a few exceptions) basically licks the bowl clean. Then wonders if there's enough for seconds. Yes it is a breakfast food that requires "slaving over the stove" for around 20 minutes but the warm food and delicious flavors are totally worth the effort. I would also include an account of what to do with leftovers...but the grits are always eaten in their entirety so I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete