Attention Family! I've been saying it for years, now I am preparing you for when it happens, I am retiring from cooking in less than 5 years. The only thing I will make is my morning coffee, and that is only because I am too lazy to get dressed and go out for it!







Saturday, March 17, 2012

Irish Soda Bread

I love Irish Soda Bread. I never had it before I meet your Dad, but now consider it a must have food! Its easy and quick to put together, we've made up to 8 batches a day before for St. Patrick's Day church suppers, and no telling how many batches for kids to take into to school. Have plenty of butter on hand for serving. This recipe comes from Pat O'L., whose husband Joe was one of Grandma's cousins.

Irish Soda Bread

5 cups self-rising flour
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup raisins
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups buttermilk

Mix flour, baking soda, and sugar. Add raisins and stir, Add buttermilk and mix well. Knead on a floured surface, adding flour until dough is not sticky. Cut dough inn half. Shape each half into a round loaf. Put on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Cut an x into the top of each loaf, about half way into the loaf. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes. Stick a knife into the loaf, if it comes out clean, the bread is done. Pass the butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment