Attention Family! I've been saying it for years, now I am preparing you for when it happens, I am retiring from cooking in less than 5 years. The only thing I will make is my morning coffee, and that is only because I am too lazy to get dressed and go out for it!







Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Aunt Lauren's Minestrone Soup

I love this soup, I love it especially when Aunt Lauren makes it, hers is always better than mine!

Aunt Lauren's Minestrone Soup

1 pound ground beef
3 cloves garlic
2 onions
5 carrots, scraped
3 stalks celery, washed
5 to 6 potatoes, peeled
1 32 ounce carton low sodium beef broth
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 cup rice
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
black pepper
salt to taste (don't add any salt until right before serving, you may not need much)

Brown the hamburger meat in a frying pan. Drain, and add to soup pot. While meat is browning, chop veggies into bite size pieces. Add to soup pot, along with beef broth, tomatoes, and seasonings. Cook, covered, until potatoes are just about done, then add rice. Serve with Parmesan cheese, crackers, or homemade cornbread if you really want your family to love you. Makes great leftovers. You can add pasta instead of rice if you want, and/or a can of drained, rinsed kidney beans. This soup is no work at all if you have MK around to prep all the veggies!

1 comment:

  1. So immensely jealous right now... You guys get around to eating all the good stuff right after I leave, don't you? I really love minestrone soup. In case you haven't seen the trend, I like veggies and soups a whole bunch, especially together. What do you mean Aunt Lauren's is better than yours? LIES! Yours is best, hands down. (oh dear, I hope she doesn't read that...)
    Hey, lookie! All your posts have comments now.
    Never let it be said I don't love you.

    ReplyDelete