Attention Family! I've been saying it for years, now I am preparing you for when it happens, I am retiring from cooking in less than 5 years. The only thing I will make is my morning coffee, and that is only because I am too lazy to get dressed and go out for it!







Monday, November 15, 2010

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

We had this for dinner tonight, it is a family favorite. My sister (Aunt Didi) sent me a recipe for this years ago, and, of course, I tweaked it to make it work for us. So, here goes my version....

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 box wild rice mix
1 cup white rice
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 cups water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray large casserole dish with cooking spray. Mix wild rice and white rice in casserole dish. Sprinkle with seasonings from rice mix. Cut chicken breasts in half through the plane (long way). Put the chicken on top of the seasonings, then turn the chicken over so seasoning side is up. Pour water and Worcestershire sauce around edge of casserole. Dot butter around casserole on top of rice. Spread cranberry sauce on top of chicken. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes uncovered. Serve with salad or green beans for a super easy meal. If you don't need to feed 6 hungry people, make this with 1 pound of chicken, don't use the white rice, and reduce the Worcestershire sauce and water by half. The cranberry sauce is so good on the chicken that you will want to use all of it!

1 comment:

  1. How can you tell it's fall? Let me count the ways... 1) leaves change 2) it gets windy and colder 3) this recipe makes its reappearance. Really, this is like a pre-Thanksgiving dinner that indicates that yes, the end of the year is rapidly approaching and don't you think you need a second helping? While cranberries are not my favorite, in this dish they are very flavorfully fantastic.

    ReplyDelete